Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 4 Comment 1 to Sue Calland


Sue’s post:
Don’t hold back & participate wholly!
The chapter that definitely meant the most to me was chapter 9.  I have noticed many times that the students in my 7th & 8th grade classes who are totally uninterested in school and completely uninspired, will give me full effort when I am my nuttiest!  They may look at me and roll their eyes, but every time I am passionate about what I do and really into it, they are definitely paying more attention than when I am just giving notes or lecturing.  It is so awesome to see that student that really doesn’t give a hoot about being in my class, study for a quiz or look at me and say, “Hey I get it!”  The crazier I am, the more I can generate a spark from them.  To get my students to remember waxing and waning moon phases, I do my Karate Kid, Mr. Miagi, stance with my karate move.  I may look like a goof, but they remember the moon phases!  I was at an awards assembly at the high school and a former student caught my eye when the speaker talked about “wax on, wax off”.  Across the gym she mouthed to me, “was on, wane off” with a big smile on her face.  She was in my class three years ago.  Those are the time that I know that if I don’t hold back, they understand and remember so much more.   They are also more willing to take a risk since I do.  


Comment to Sue:
I think it is awesome that you aren't afraid to act goofy in front of your students.  I think some teachers get too caught up in requirements and objectives that they forget to HAVE FUN!  The students definitely appreciate it and enjoy learning more when we have fun. 
This book has been really good to read and shown me how to think more positively about every situation.  I hope that I can remember all of it and use it next year in my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment