Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 2 Reading


What we see is determined by what we want to notice or are focusing on.  I always thought it was weird that I would never see anybody driving a certain kind of car until I started driving it myself and looking for that type of car.  I think the 9 dot puzzle is a great illustration of how our minds work.  We typically do not think “outside the box” and constrain ourselves so much when it comes to using our minds. 
The mind is a powerful tool and having positive thoughts can make a big difference.  The book said that we are more likely to be successful if we look at the possibilities and tasks in a positive light. 
I really enjoyed the book’s discussion about learning from our mistakes.  I always tell my students that it is okay to make mistakes because we can learn a lot from them.  I also liked the idea of starting off the class with an A to relieve some of the pressure of having to be “perfect.”  I have found it to be true that when you don’t have to waste time worrying about your grade that you perform better on the tasks at hand and are more willing to take a risk to try something new.  Although it is not always appropriate to do this in all situations, it is a different way of looking at things.
The “contribution game” sounds like the perfect way to live life.  To look at things positively and accepting things that come your way.  I think we all want to make a difference and sometimes we just struggle with how to do it or get caught up with the idea that it is too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment