Saturday, May 7, 2011

Week 1 Reading

The copyright videos were very informative.  I enjoyed the video about copyright myths.  Those seem to be very common mistakes that people make about the copyright laws.  The copyright laws can be very confusing and not very “black and white.”  There are so many parts and contingencies to the law that it is easy for someone to get confused.  In the good copy/bad copy video, I was shocked at how much the music and film industries lose over piracy and copyright issues.  I guess I never realized how much piracy websites and programs affect the music industry. 
Fair use is just as confusing as the copyright laws!  Teachers are allowed to use copyrighted material but only if they can’t teach the unit/lesson without it.  I was always told that teachers were covered under fair use and we could use copyrighted material because it was for teaching.  After watching these videos, I see that it isn’t as clear-cut as that.
Creative Commons has capitalized on the fact that the Internet has made everything easily accessible.  The creation of Creative Commons is a great way to share your work and see what other people have created as well.  The Mayer and Beetle video about Creative Commons was both funny and informative.  It was very helpful in going over how Creative Commons works.  I have used Creative Commons before, but this video really helped me to understand it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment