Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 1 Comment 1 to Jenn Castro


Jenn Castro’s post:
One of the things that I found fascinating this week is the issues with fair use and copyright and how these laws are stifling creativity. I guess I have always thought that copyright laws forced others to be more creative because others would have to create their own work instead of borrowing from others. However, after watching the videos, Fair Use and Free Speech in Documentary Film and Eyes on the Fair Use of the Prize, I have a totally new understanding of what limitations copyright laws put on those people who are trying to tell a story, especially one of historical significance. I like what Joe said in one of his videos that one should not “be sloppy” with regard to copyright but one should “not bow down to one’s perception of these things” and work with the system. The importance of this statement makes me realize that, while in the past I have been intimidated by copyright and the limitations it has put on my work (and the work of others that I work with), I should work within the parameters set and make the attempts to contact the owners of the work and ask for permission.

Comment to Jenn:
I was in the same position you were before I watched these videos.  I was also intimidated by the copyright law since it was so confusing.  I never tried to contact owners about using their work or even work within the fair use policy.  These videos have made me want to be less intimidated and use the resources that are out there.  Creative Commons is a great site that I have not used much.  The Creative Commons videos were very informative and explained the site very well.  I think that by taking some time to really explore the site I will find a lot of material and resources to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment