Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 3 Reading


Being a leader doesn’t necessarily mean that you are standing in front of a group of people and physically leading them to do something.  You can be a leader by your actions, words, and behaviors.  I think this is something difficult for students to understand, especially at a young age.  It is hard to think of yourself as a leader sometimes when you are not in the lead.
I think everybody needs to “lighten up” about themselves.  I really liked the joke about the cow falling on the orchestra if they made a mistake.  Most of the things we do would be better if we weren’t so worried and stressed out about the outcome.  I am an avid golf player.  I easily get frustrated with myself on the golf course.  It takes a lot of effort for me to not get mad and get a bad attitude about a shot.  However, I know that the only way that I will ever have another good shot is to stay calm and just enjoy being outside on the golf course.  Golf is very much a mental game and remaining in a “light” mood is a must!
It is hard for me to always look at things in a positive way and tell myself that things happened they way they did and there is nothing I can do about it.  I think it is human nature to complain and put a negative spin on things that we don’t like.  It takes a lot of effort to accept the ways things are and find the good it what happened.  I am going to work harder to be think of things as a starting point to make things better rather than in a negative way.
I think chapter 8 goes back to the discussion about “lightening up” and letting the tension and stress go.  I really enjoyed the story of the “one-buttock player”.  I think this shows how passion and emotion can help you accomplish things you didn’t think possible.  Learning to be a “one-buttock” teacher will take some time, but I think the results will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment